Wednesday, April 3, 2013

So I went to the library a few days ago and signed up for a RAP session with a librarian. I got a lot of great stuff from that session. I got a ton of reviews and some author information.
The New York Times on June 15, 1942 Wrote about Rudolf Besier's death at age 63.
When Secrets came out it was even mentioned in the New York Times. In August 13, 1922 the London Stage section wrote about Fay Compton and Leon Comalne being in the play one Sept 7th. I do not remember seeing his name on any of the lists, but he may have taken the place of a pervious actor.
When the play came to America and played in the Fulton Theatre there were a lot of reviews and whatnot.
In March 25, 1924 "The Screen" in the New Yorks Time wrote about the Norma Talmadge screen version of Secrets.
Marilyn Slater transcribed for about Secrets in an article about "Feminism in the Drama" which focuses on the fact that all plays either see "life as woman-led or man-led". The play is argued as taking both sides at different times. I actually really liked the article. I'll probably write more on that later. 
I even checked out a bunch of books about Victorian England and Colonial America since I had a few logistical questions about some of the things that had been written. Like "hysterics" and if they would have had that nice of a home in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. To my knowledge I would have imagined them in more of a shack than a two room home with all the amenities. hopefully some of these questions will be answered. I am still going through a ton of reviews and will also talk more on those...http://looking-for-mabel.webs.com/1923feminism.htm



3 comments:

  1. I found that the American scenes were written from an Englishman's point of view with only tall tales to draw on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is difficult to comment because you are writing about what you are doing. It is easier to comment on statements that I have some background to disagree with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete